Wednesday, September 28, 2011

My Madone Experience

Back in July of this year, I tried out a Trek Madone 3.1. I didn't keep it for several reasons. Before I go into the details, we own several Trek bikes. I have a Trek mountain bike and the wife has a classic Trek road bike. Trek makes good bikes.


The madone 3.1 is beautiful and light. I tried the Madone on hills up to Wachusett and flats. Before I decided to return the bike, I rode 75 miles. I'm glad I tried the Madone and learned some important lessons.

The first is that personal comfort is #1. Doesn't matter how advanced, fancy, light or pretty a bike is. If you don't feel comfortable on it, get something else. The biggest issue with the Madone was geometry. I felt too stretched out and the handlebars were too wide. The end result is I couldn't generate power efficiently and at high speed it didn't feel comfortable. I'm a short guy at 5'3". I have short legs and short arms. Someone might say "you need to fit the bike to you" and not "fit you to the bike". That's all true and good, but here's my take.

If I spend 2K on a new bike, I shouldn't have to spend another 600 to change the handlebar, stem and saddle. I shouldn't need to spend 150.00 to get a professional fitting. When I bought my Specialized Dolce last year, it just felt good. I adjusted the saddle height and moved it back a little, but that was about it. The bike shop tried to hard sell me on a fitting, which is a huge "turn off". I have no plans of ever going back to that bike shop.

The second big issue with the Madone is the saddle. It was totally uncomfortable and felt like someone was kicking me in the jewels. I'm sure there's plenty of people who like the stock saddle, but I didn't. Saddles are very personal. It either works for you, or it doesn't. On both rides with the Madone, I felt slower and was slower. Going up to Wachusett mountain I know how it feels on my Dolce. On the Madone, it didn't feel good.

For those thinking of getting a carbon fiber bike, the key is to take it out on a long ride with some good hills. Riding it around a parking lot isn't going to tell you anything. Seriously, it isn't going to matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment