Thursday, January 19, 2012

I must be crazy

Today I was itching to ride, so I looked out side. The streets looked clear and the sky was partly cloudy. Around lunch time I headed for a ride. I wore the Pearl Izumi AmFib tights and pro soft shell jacket.



Outside, there was still snow on the ground from the snow earlier in the week.



For the first 3 miles, my fingers were freezing. At first I was planning on a 14 mile loop, but after 3 miles I decided a short ride was wiser. Getting frost bite is not my idea of fun. Around 6 miles, my hands started to warm up, but they were still freezing.

A sane person would not ride 8.5 miles in 24 degree temperature. Including wind chill, it felt like 15 degrees. The Sigma Rox8 bike computer I bought worked well. One feature I really like is the heart rate zones. It tells me how long my heart rate was in each zone.

The worst part about riding in cold weather is the cold air on the lungs. I don't know about others, but lower than 32 degrees it really stings to take a deep breathe. Under 20 degrees it's just hard to get a full breathe.

No comments:

Post a Comment