Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Annual maintenance

Last week I took my Giant into Barney's for my annual tune up. I had them tune the brakes, tune the shifters & derailers, clean the bottom bracket and replace the chain. Since I rode over 2000 miles on the giant last year, it's a good idea to replace the chain.

Now the sqweeeeking sound is gone and the shifting is smooth again. I don't know about other, but I sweat a lot. The bottom bracket was quite dirty and crusty. Even though modern bottom brackets are sealed, it's still a good idea to clean it out yearly. The little bits of dirt, sand, sweat and oil will build up. The same with the derailers. Last year I washed and cleaned the giant once a month. If a ride was wet and dirty, I tried to wash the bike within a few days.




One thing I need to do is adjust the tension on my dolce. My son rides it now and the shifters are too hard for him. I tried to look on shimao's website, but the pdf manuals don't show how to adjust the tension. I'm not sure if it's even possible to make it easier to shift.

No comments:

Post a Comment