Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Power meter

Over the holiday I decided to get myself a power meter. I spent many months researching power meters and read about Stages back in Feb 2013. Early in the season I upgraded the FSA crank to Shimano 105. The change is noticeable. The FSA crank isn't nearly as stiff as hollowtech crank and also it's heavier. Part of my reason for changing cranks is that Stages didn't support FSA cranks at the time. Fast forward to December. I pulled the trigger and ordered it. In late Jan I got the crank and installed it.

Now that I've been using it for a few weeks I'm quite happy with it. The installation was a breeze. I spent more time cleaning and oiling my bottom bracket than installing the left crank arm. I've noticed a few things about my power output the last few weeks.

The first one is correlation between cadence and power. My natural cadence is around 100 rpm. When I tried to follow sufferfest ISLAGIATT cadence, the power output was lower and more erratic. I've known that I prefer spinning to mashing, but it was great to see real data. At 100-105 cadence, my power varies .4watts, which is decent.

Overall, I've quite happy with the stages power meter.

No comments:

Post a Comment