Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Odd creak

I've been trying to figure out what part of my giant is creaking, but it's hard to find. Back when I rode Major Taylor, the bike developed several loud squeeeeeks and creaks. The most annoying was a high pitched squeek coming from the bottom bracket.

I had barney's order a replace bb86 and got rid of that aweful squeek. On the trainer, I don't hear anymore odd noise other than me breathing hard. On the road, there's still a creak. At first I thought it was the chain, so I washed it last saturday. On sunday, the creak was still there. I tried to diagnose it and thought maybe it was the seat post.

When I got home, I removed the seatpost, cleaned it, cleaned the clamp and the frame. The creak was still there. Next I checked to see if anything was rubbing the chain and I noticed the new front derailleur chain guard was rubbing at one point. I took that off. I like the idea of having a guard to prevent the chain from scuffing up the carbon frame, but not if it's rubbing and making noises.

I hope this got rid of the creaking noise.

No comments:

Post a Comment