Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Raleigh Militas 3

On monday, Raleigh bicycle was kind enough to bring a bunch of Militas 3 for people to try. About 10 people tried the bikes and everyone agreed the bikes were fast.

I rode a 50cm with SRAM Red and full carbon everything. I lowered the seat and moved the saddle forward, but I am short so the position wasn't ideal. The front derailleur on the demo bike wouldn't shift up to the big chain ring. Before I left, I should have checked the front wheel, but I didn't. It was a bit under-inflated, but even then I still average 20 mph on reservoir street. On my giant, my previous best time was 18.2 mph, which is a decent speed.

Dave took off early and was at the front. I was able to catch up to him, so the higher average wasn't due to drafting. The biggest difference is the stiffness of the frame, race geometry and weight. The bike weighed about 14-15lbs, which is about 3.5lbs lighter than my giant.

I put my cheapie nasbar look pedals on it and the water bottle in my back pocket. If I there was time to adjust the bike to a proper fit, fix the front derailleur and inflate the tire, I'm sure I could have gone faster. For me, a 1 hour ride wasn't enough time to "get used to" SRAM. I don't know if I could get used to double tap, but it definitely didn't feel as natural as Shimano 105.

Comparing SRAM to Shimano 105, I had absolutely no trouble adjusting to the 105. In fact, it felt perfectly natural. I also didn't like the feel of the SRAM Red. It took much more effort to shift compared to the 105.

Ignoring the SRAM groupo, the Raleigh Militas 3 is a fast bike. It is very stiff and my butt did feel the difference on a few pot holes. For a long century ride, I would choose my giant. For the 7HW wednesday nite rides, a bike like Militas 3 would come in very handy.

This year I can't afford to get a new bike and probably not even next year. When I do, I will definitely consider a Raleigh Militas 1. The Militas 3 is the top end, which I don't need. If someone gave it to me as a gift, I'd take it, but I'm frugal. The Militas 1 or 2 with Shimano ultegra or 105 is more than sufficient.

Militas 3

No comments:

Post a Comment