Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Getting ready for Greylock Century

Today is June 20, that means 2.5 weeks until Greylock century. So far the training this year has been great. After King's Tour double metric, I felt great and my legs feel good. The cardio is in good shape, so it's really just a matter of training properly and not peaking too soon.

I know I can finish greylock century, but I'd like to improve my average. Last year it took me 8:43 minutes with a ride time of 7:17 averaging 13.72mph. I hope to average 15mph this year and finish with a ride time under 7 hours. Given there's over 9000 feet of climbing on the century, that would be impressive to me. The latest elevation map says it's over 11,000 feet of climbing.

http://bcacycling.blogspot.com/p/greylock-century-ride.html

Of the three big climbs, the second climb up route 2 is the easiest. The grade up to Whitcomb summit is steady the entire way, so once you get into a nice rhythm it's autopilot. According to the berkshire cycling association, the first climb up to Greylock summit is a CAT 1 climb. Mapmyride and other apps call it 2 separate CAT 2 climbs. In the middle, there is a "flat-ish" section, which lets you recover. The road was repaved a few years ago, so it's smoothe and clean from the visitor center to the summit.

By far the hardest climb is up East Hawley road. The grade changes from 6% to 15% several times, so it's tough to get in a nice rhythm. Last year I trained on the hill several times and found myself getting out of the saddle on the steepest grades.

After Hawley, the rest of the climbs are only cat 4 or 5. I look forward to riding it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment